It is excruciatingly hot outside - ninety-three degrees, to be precise. Fortunately, I need only visit our second floor to find some extraordinary fungi. Yellow Houseplant Mushrooms are growing in my potted indoor Christmas cactus!
When I first discovered the mushrooms they were desiccated. I could see tiny 'fruits' at the base of the dried up mushrooms so I have been making a point to observe them each day. Yesterday the fruits were about an inch and a half tall...today, two-and-a-half to three inches!
I learned the yellow mushrooms are the result of contaminated potting soil - contaminated with mushroom spores, that is - and they are entirely harmless to the plant. I absolutely love them.
Another endearing quality? They match the room...which is strewn with golden yellow National Geographic books and journals, a vintage Kodak film canister and of course, a whole lotta Nikon.